Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mother's/Ex-Camper's Weekend


So I am admittedly behind on my posting, so forgive me, but the next few posts will be back-dated. The past few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind, so hopefully the posts will do them at least a small semblance of justice. :)

The weekend of October 4th, Anne Teel and I went to Camp Honey Creek for Mother's/Ex-Camper's Weekend. No kids. Yes, you heard me, no kids. It was wonderful. There was a slew of women there that weekend that we had gone to camp with when we were in our teens, and that was the first time that many of them had returned since they were campers.  The cabin we were in was probably 2/3 full and almost all of the women we were with were people I had shared a cabin with before. 

It was so great to get to see everyone and to find out what they had been up to for the last 2 - 3 decades. (Kind of scary I just wrote the word "decades" too.) But it was also great to see that regardless of the fact that so much time has passed, we literally all picked up exactly where we'd left off. 

I think there is a very special bond amongst camp friends. I don't know exactly what drives it -  if it's the fact that you've lived together for weeks on end, shared so many experiences together, or what - but I submit that friendships like that don't come along every day. I sincerely hope that when our kids look back on their time at camp and the friends that they've made, they feel the same way. 

No comments: